Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Phase One - Master Bedroom


You might think that I am a terribly selfish mother, but Corey's and my bedroom is also included in the phase 1 upgrade as well.  Actually I decided to paint our bedroom the same color as the downstairs living spaces and while I was waiting for primer to dry on the wood paneling I went ahead and plunged into painting our dirty pink bedroom that was formerly wood paneling.
Master Bedroom before
By the way, since we were unable to push, shove, or manoeuvre our mattress box springs up the stairs we had to get creative and hoist the queen size rectangular prism through our bedroom balcony.  Yep, isn't that cool?  Although we seven have to share one bathroom, I do have my very own balcony and yes, I do share it with Corey.  I think that he has plans to use it for his outdoor smoking space.

After two weeks of sleeping on the floor it nice to have our mattress frame and box springs added to the bedroom.  Especially since we could hear some mice moving about between the first and second story floors.  I was a little creeped out at being so close to the floor.  Thankfully, Willa slept in our room and I knew that she would take care of any intruders that dared to enter the master bedroom.  You might be asking, "What about your kids?".  Since they already had set up their beds I assumed they were fine, being so far off the floor!
Corey hung two curtain rods to make a  canopy with a curtain panel.  My Mom made the quilt on the bed with the matching pillow for me as a high school graduation present.  It is about 17 years old!
I painted the window alcove and the bed alcove a shade of cream


This is my "closet"
As you may have noticed, we only have one small closet in our bedroom. It is the size of an entry way coat closet. Corey plopped his shirts in there first so I decided to get creative and figure out a closet space for myself.  I found this little shelf/hanging bar system at Lowes.  Corey installed the shelf and mirror.  It isn't organized yet, but it is so nice to have a place to hang my clothes.  It really is a joy to have a dresser and a permanent place to hang my wardrobe.  I did feel rather disheveled having my clothes randomly hung on hooks that Olga (former owner) had conveniently placed around the house.

The kids think that the 'new' master bedroom is much cooler than our former bedroom on Elder St.  I do think that it is bigger and I love the window seat and bed alcove.  It is also pretty fun to have a bedroom balcony as well.
This is a view from my balcony.  We get a great view of the moon at night and the mountains by day.
And by the way if you are wondering about the mouse situation, my fears were confirmed one day when Willa was intensely sniffing around in the utility room.  I bravely moved the cabinet from the wall and lo and behold a dark brown mouse was huddled in the corner.  That of course was when I pushed Isaac in front of me and told him to make sure it left the premises.  Willa flushed it out and it scurried underneath the washing machine.  After that I left the scene.  Isaac reported that nothing new happened and he left as well.  When I noticed that Willa had lost interest I figured that I would have Corey investigate when he came home because I had some painting to do.

When Corey came home I nonchalantly reported the mouse incident.  He found no mouse and filled in the hole where it probably entered our utility room.  I am relieved to report that we have heard no sounds or seen any signs of the small furry rodent.  Hooray for Irish Terriers and husbands who know how to use that foamy stuff!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Conquered and Hung

Have you ever really wanted to do something but fear held you back?  Does your perfectionism hinder you?  I used to be proud of being a perf...